Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Rock and a Hard Place

When it's time for us to leave Angola to go on a R&R, the guards and drivers scramble to give us a list of things that they would like for us to bring back to them. Usually the requests are for shoes, cameras, cell phones and things of that nature. When I left in May, things were no different. I got the lists. Because I don't speak Portuguese, and they don't speak English, communication is difficult but we usually manage. At Christmas, when we were going to the US, my relief driver stopped by to wish us well and said something about his family and he kept saying "photo" and he used his hand to make a "flash" and he kept saying the word "after". I thought he was telling us that he wanted to bring his family by when we returned so we could take a picture of them. Come to find out, he really wanted us to bring him a digital camera. After that, I told everyone to write it down for me or give me a picture! So this time, my guard John handed me a note with 2 words: "cream, varicose". Hmmm....I'm gonna need more help here. I looked at him very confused. He then said and did something that I will never forget! He acted it out! He started rubbing his abdomen and his butt and said the word "spouse". After several minutes it hit me. This guy wants me to bring back stretch mark cream for his wife!!

So, with most of my shopping complete, I'm left with sweet John's list. His one request! Do I "accidentally" forget and save the marriage or do I grant his one wish?? Because I know that if my husband EVER, I repeat..EVER walked into our home carrying a tube of stretch mark cream for my ass....he'd never see my ass again!

1 comment:

  1. You are hilarious, Victoria! Not sure what I would do because his wife will probably wonder who bought it for him. Tough one:)

    ReplyDelete